Sunday, December 7, 2008

Photos of my 1944 British Infantry Battalion

My current favorite set of WW2 miniatures rules is Command Decision: Test of Battle.  My regular opponent, the Brigadista, and I have played a number of games set in Normandy in the summer of 1944.  Brigadista has a large force of Germans and I have a more modest force of British.

Here are some photos of my first 1944 British infantry battalion.  While they've stood in for a number of historical battalions, they carry the grand title of 2nd Battalion, The Scruttockshire Regiment in our fictional battles.  (The name Scruttockshire comes from the setting of an English Civil War campaign included in the wargame rules 1644.)

The figures are entirely 15mm Peter Pig.  The 6-pounder anti-tank guns are Old Glory.  The bases are from Litko Aerosystems.  Each base represents a platoon sized element of 30-50 men or 4-6 guns.

Here's the battalion on parade:


The Colonel:



Here's 'A' Company:



Here's the mortar platoon:



Here's an anti-tank gun troop:



The 2nd Scruttockshires have generally given a good account of themselves in our games.  They have proven themselves stout-hearted and tenacious on the defense.  The Brigadista has come to fear their PIATs!!

One thing I decided to do when preparing this army was to mount the command and recon stands on bases with rounded corners.  This makes it a bit easier to identify the command stands on the table, which is very important in Command Decision because each command stand has the ability to issue orders.  The downside of the rounded corners is that makes it easier for your opponent to identify the command stands as well.  This isn't a big deal to me as the people I game with don't usually go out of their way to target the command stands anyway.

I'm still working on my photographic technique with the small figures.  One problem is that the autofocus on my camera wants to focus on the base rather than the figure!

Please comment with any constructive advice on the miniatures or photos.

3 comments:

Brigadista said...

The Brigadista, of course, may hold a differing point of view concerning the events described. Kinda like "Rashoman", only with little bits of cardboard and lead soldiers.

Chris said...

To quote the great Obi-Wan Kenobi, "you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Fearing a PIAT? Really?

No, I mean, *really*?

C'mon...